Re: gEDA-user: Re: gEDA PCB Lib

Chad Robinson said:
> I do agree that PNG is probably the best way
> to go. JPG would be an awful image format for an essentially monochrome,
> raster-drawn image, I agree. Would GIF be better or are there
> copyright/patent concerns?

The main US GIF compression patent either just expired, or will soon
(IANAL, so don't quote me on that. I use PNG as a silent protest of the
silliness surrounding GIF, and because it has better support in open
source tools). I think that there are other worldwide patents still
floating around, though.

PNG, being a newer and less encumbered spec, is probably a better choice.
No need to trade off the compression functionality of libgif for the
legally unencumbered but less efficient libungif, for instance.

Either way, it's just a matter of configuration options if you render the
resulting PostScript code through ghostscript.

--
Charles Lepple
clepple@ghz.cc