gEDA-user: Pin Number Flexibility

Title: Pin Number Flexibility

Novice User Here.  I have created several symbols for a design I am doing here.  How does one create a symbol with flexible pin numbering as would be the case in standard type components such as smt transistors (can be 1-2-3 or 3-1-2 for example), specialty LED's and various connectors, for example.  Say I want to assign a pin number in the *.sym to be "?" for modification later in the schematic when the symbol is instantiated?  This would save me from having to do multiple variations of essentially the same symbol…

        - RW