Re: gEDA-user: panel/case design (fwd)

On Sat, Jun 04, 2005 at 09:21:29PM -0400, Stuart Brorson wrote:
> > Are there any free tools that are helpful in designing cases or
> > panels?  I think I'm basically looking for something that will let me
> > lay out where a sheet of aluminum is going to have holes drilled or
> > punched in it, as well as being able to lay out the silkscreen
> > graphics.

most sheet metal hops will only accept files from known software
( ie.. autocad .. as good or bad as that may be )

if you give um "files" from random software they never seen/heard about,
they'll ask you to waive your rights .. that you pay for what they build,
even if the holes are wrong, bends, radii, material, etc, etc

you're looking for "prototype shops" ... to help you build your parts

your costs goes way up, if you use random hole sizes, random curves
and bends and punches
	- for 1 bracket/panel.. you can start at $250 - $500
	and going updward, regardless of the number of holes
	and bends as its just time to setup the equpment and paperwork
	( it's not much cheaper by going to any-small-town-usa either
	( or offshore for small quantities, ie under 100 pieces )

- most of the sheet metal shops use DXF file format, as they can
  cust their costs and eliminate problems on their end, since *you*
  provided the DXF file

- free ( open source ) cad tools
	http://linux-cae.net/CAD/

c ya