Re: gEDA-user: PCB: GUI comments on speed

Hi Harry,

[snip]
>>Relative to what?  To gschem?  Allow me to posit the argument that you
>>don't know gschem very well then, because I'm at least 4x to 5x faster
>>in gschem at getting work done than I am in pcb, easily.
>
>Let's take a simple example. Suppose you want to move something on screen.
>In gschem you must first enter select mode (s key) but you must divert you
>view
>from where you are working up to the top bar to see what mode you're in
>because
>the cursor gives no indication. Then you have to click and release the
>object you
>want to move, then hit the m key, then you can drag it to the new position,
>then
>you click and release to let go of it in the new position.
>
>That is 7 operations just to move something, and it remains selected when
>you're done
>which might not be what you want. Now compare to pcb. The arrow tool is
>bound

	A single object move in gschem can also be executed in two mouse
clicks: Click 1: click and hold the middle mouse button over the object
you want to move, drag mouse to the new location, Click 2: release
middle button.	Single object copies are also possible in two clicks;
same sequence as above but with the ALT key held down.

[snip]

	Note, I would rather not see this thread degenerate into "my GUI
is better than your GUI".  Each has its strengths and weaknesses.
If anybody wants a particular GUI behavior then please submit a
non-invasive patch (read: configurable) and it might get applied.

								-Ales