Re: gEDA-user: A thought on installs/deployment

On Wednesday 07 June 2006 23:35, Ales Hvezda wrote:
> >I wonder how much work really may be needed for geda to work
> > under windows.  As far as pcb, there is really only one
> > thing left that I'm
>
> 	Not a whole lot actually.  The last time I built it (using
> mingw and the native gtk+) gschem and friends worked just
> fine.  It'll actually worked a whole lot better now than in
> the past, mainly because the file selector dialog boxes are
> now up-to-date.   The biggest road block to the general
> existance of this port is the lack of developer cycles.

I think the official policy should be the same as for the
specific Linux and BSD variants.

As we all know ..   We developers try to make it portable, and
deliver only source, using relatively standard makefiles and
such.  We leave it to the user to get and install the compilers
and libraries.

Someone else, not the original developer, makes a port to
specific systems.  I am aware of packages for Debian,
Slackware, Gentoo, NetBSD, Mac (Darwin-ports) and some others.
All of these are NOT made by the original developer.  That
someone else makes sure it gets the resources needed, and makes
an easily installable package.

Why should MS-Windows be any different?