Re: gEDA-user: Baking chips to dehumidify before reflow

From:
http://smt.pennnet.com/Articles/Article_Display.cfm?&Section=Articles&SubSection=Display&ARTICLE_ID=84836

Baking is a bit more complicated than many people realize. There are
baking recommendations for pre- and post-dry pack based on level and
package thickness. Pre-baking is used to prepare components for dry
packing, while post-baking is used to recondition components after floor
life expiration. Review and follow the time/temperature recommendations
for baking in J-STD-033. Baking temperatures can decrease lead
solderability by oxidizing the leads or causing excessive intermetallic
growth. Do not store components in an oven at baking temperature.
Remember, high-temperature trays can be baked at 125ÂC, while
low-temperature trays cannot be baked at temperatures higher than 40ÂC.

IPC post-bake recommendations after floor life has expired are:

Package thickness less than or equal to 1.4 mm: For levels 2a through
5a, bake time ranges from 4 to 14 hours at 125ÂC, or 5 to 19 days at 40Â
C.

Package thickness less than or equal to 2.0 mm: For levels 2a through
5a, bake time ranges from 18 to 48 hours at 125ÂC, or 21 to 68 days at
40ÂC.

Package thickness less than or equal to 4.0 mm: For levels 2a through
5a, bake time is 48 hours at 125ÂC, or 67 or 68 days at 40ÂC.