gEDA-user: D-BUS and gEDA?

Hi folks,

Just an idea I had off the top of my head while I was mulling over the problem
of integrating pcb and gschem together: why not make them both expose D-BUS
interfaces?

D-BUS is becoming a fairly standard thing on the Linux desktop these days: the
HAL supports it, KDE4 and the next version of GNOME are both going to use it
for application-to-application communication, and it's portable too.

My idea was that clicking a button in gschem will start a new instance of PCB,
and synchronise with it using D-BUS.  Selecting a component or piece of net
in gschem will trigger a D-BUS call to select and pan to the corresponding
feature in the PCB window, and vice versa.

The only problem is forward- and back-annotation with this setup... gnetlist
runs on even a fast computer tend to take a _long_ time with the sort of
circuits I'm accustomed to working with (2000+ component pins).  Are there
any plans in the future to make gschem netlist-aware so that real-time
forward- and back-annotation will be possible to implement (delete a
component in PCB, it deletes it in gschem)?

Peter

P.S. Cambridge University are strongly considering switching to KiCAD from
gEDA as the standard EDA toolset, because they like the capture to layout
integration better!

--
Quake II build tools maintainer             http://tinyurl.com/fkldd

v2sw6YShw7$ln5pr6ck3ma8u6/8Lw3+2m0l7Ci6e4+8t4Eb8Aen5+6g6Pa2Xs5MSr5p4
  hackerkey.com