gEDA-user: moving the refdes text in PCB

PCB is not allowing me to move the refdes text which is part of an element that is already located in a layout. This element came from a foot print library and it had to be rotated 90 deg. when it was placed. How can this be done within PCB? The text can be "selected" but not moved. I have tried enabling all layers, combinations of layers, and such. The element is on the component layer.

Thanks.