Re: gEDA-user: geda, pcb and cygwin

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 16:19:22 +0000, Kai-Martin Knaak wrote:

>> Win32 Native - no support offered:
>> http://www2.eng.cam.ac.uk/geda/pcbinst-1.99v.exe
>
> Thanks a bundle! I'll try that file. My milage might vary :-)

Here is my mileage so far:

* The installer worked as expected. It even installs a start-menu for the
binary.

* There is an error report on start-up of pcb: Error message is actually
german because this is the native language of my winXP. Roughly
translated it says: "Can't find file "ListLibraryContents.sh" and
suggests to look for the file on the web. If this option is chosen, the
application hangs longer than I dared to wait. If I choose "cancel", pcb
starts with a working library list anyway.

* The font of the log window is a bit smallish. But I was told, that win
users like it that way ;-)

* pcb itself looks suprisingly similar to the windows binary. Existing
layouts load fine. Preferences and colors are interpreted correctly
except for the pathlist (see below). I didn't try too many actions yet.
But the ones I did worked like in linux.

* The log window contains the line:
	"Warning: Could not determine home directory (from HOME)"

* I like to work with local component libraries. Setting the path to the
local lib fails.  The reason seems to be misinterpretation of the colon
in windows paths. What syntax should be used for the list of paths?
Maybe this is a consequence of the missing ListLibraryContents.sh?

>> If you'd like to test it, please do - I don't think printing works, and
>> I deliberately didn't try to compile png (or other graphics) support in
>> (avoiding libgd).

Is the libgd dependence good for anything beyond the ability to set a
background image and produce pictures in pdf docs during build?

As for the modified cross-compile-build-script --- Yes, I am interested
to receive a copy. PM is on its way.

Schönwettergrüße,

 ---<(kaimartin)>---

--
Kai-Martin Knaak
Universität Hannover, Inst. für Quantenoptik      tel: +49-511-762-2895