Re: gEDA-user: poll: How do you geda?

On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 11:30 AM, Larry Doolittle
<ldoolitt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Sorry to tack on to another response.
>
> On Wed, Jun 04, 2008 at 01:15:24PM -0300, John Coppens wrote:
>> On Wed, 4 Jun 2008 09:55:26 +0000 (UTC)
>> Kai-Martin Knaak <kmk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > * What OS do you run geda applications on?
>
> Debian, Ubuntu, x86 and amd64.
>
>> > * How did you install your copy of geda apps?
>
> Either stock from the distribution, or build from latest
> CVS/git sources if I need a new feature.
>
>> > * Which apps do you use. What is your typical workflow?
>
> xcircuit -> pcb -> gerbv
> iverilog -> gtkwave && Xilinx
> gschem wasn't ready for prime time when I started.
>
>> > * Did you (have to) modify portions of geda to suit your needs?
>
> Not recently.
>
>> > * What is the general flavor of your projects? (analog, digital, HF)
>
> Analog, digital, both up to ~100 MHz.  My attempts to go higher
> frequency have had mixed results.
>
>> > * What is the greatest weakness of gEDA?
>
> Churn in file formats and user interface.  I know other people
> label this as progress, but it does keep me from advocating gEDA
> for non-hackers.
>
> Disorganized and questionable quality component libraries.
> This has been discussed to death, but without any concrete
> results.
>
>    - Larry

Can we just use luciani.org footprints and deprecate the current ones?
They are far better than the included footprints.   The included ones
are terrible (as in, I've had to throw away boards because they were
unusable).  It is not very user-friendly to ship broken footprints,
then when users complain, blame them for not double-checking all the
footprints and/or making their own library.

Regards,
Mark
markrages@gmail
--