gEDA-user: hierarchy refdes's

I'm already pretty deep into a hierarchical design and am wondering how
the refdes is handled.  Here's a simplified breakdown of the hierarchy:

2ch_top
|_______Front-End
|_______Front-End

where Front-End is identical, instantiated twice.

Eventually, I had intended to instantiate 2ch_top, 4 times:

System_top
|___________2ch_top
|___________2ch_top
|___________2ch_top

So what happens to the reference designators? For example, if R1 is in
the first front-end, how does that change in front-end #2, and
furthermore in each instantiation under System_top?  I recall reading
about fully qualified names.  Does that mean that the path info gets
prefixed to each refdes?

Is it perhaps better to create identical copies of each schematic, label
the refdes's on each.  That'll be more schematics overall and harder to
maintain changes.

gene