Re: gEDA-user: gerbv 2.0 :^)

On Jun 14, 2008, at 1:31 PM, Peter Clifton wrote:
>>> Just rendered my current layout with the new version of gerbv.
>>> ---> Surprise! The ugly duckling has turned into a GUI beauty!
>>> There is transparancy too. Very impressive.
>>>
>>> Big thanks to everyone on the list who contributed to this
>>> achievement.
>>
>>    I second this.  It is gorgeous.  Damn slow, even on a very fast
>> machine (I assume this is Cairo's fault) but gorgeous!
>
> It would be interesting for someone with a Mac to try it with a native
> Quartz backend... that is supposed to be quite fast.
>
> I've tried glitz backends for PCB + cairo (still slow), and have even
> tried GL primitives directly for drawing lines in PCB... all are just
> slow with my Intel graphics card.

   I wonder if there's something else going on there.  I was writing
GL code (not OpenGL) in 1991, running on a 12MHz (yes twelve) R2000
CPU with a very simplistic hardware-assisted graphics subsystem, that
threw lines up on the screen so fast it'd make your head spin.  Why
would something like OpenGL primitive execution for simple line
drawing be so slow in this day and age?

           -Dave

--
Dave McGuire