gEDA-user: PCB layer/signal selection

I'm not sure how to describe this.  I have a blotch on one of my pads
that is causing a short to a trace.  It's on the top layer red layer but
the blotch is light blue, the same light blue as my ground plane.  The
ground plane is usually dark blue so I guess the grounds are
inadvertently selected by some function.  I had this type of thing on
another pad same light blue etc and eventually the ground plane became
dark blue and the blotches red and I could delete them but first I had
to unlock them.  I think that this is something to do with selecting and
deselecting signals using the net-list buttons combined with DRC fixing
and checking.  I guess that I'm not fully in the drivers seat with PCB.
I asked a related question last week but the thread somehow became a
much deeper and different subject.