Re: gEDA-user: geda for "open hardware"

The "open hardware" distributable you are thinking about has the same
requirements as the creation of a project archive.  Some EDA tools
give you a way to create a self-contained project archive which you
can put into a database or write out to a CD and stick on the shelf
with reasonable confidence that you can return to it some years later,
open it up, and everything will be ready to go.

Long ago I wrote something called garchive which is part of gEDA/gaf.
It only archived schematics.  You would call it using one or more .sch
files as the args.   It tried to pull copies of all symbols
you used out of the symbol libs and stick them in a new directory,
then it would tar & gz up the whole thing into a convenient tarball.
Then, to open an archive, you would pass it the name of the project
archive tarball, and it would open up the tarball and put everything
into place, ready to use.

That program had a few defects, most notably that it did not archive
PCB files.  It also only guessed the symbol lib path, so if you did
something screwey, then it would not necessarily find the right
symbols.  Finally, I haven't touched it in years, so it probably
suffers from severe bit-rot now.

Anyway, my point is simple:  Requirements for an open-hardware
distributable are the same as requirements for a project archiver.
IMO, the best solution is some convenient method of finding or
specifying all dependencies in your project, and then creating .tar
files with all dependencies placed into the .tar file.

Stuart