Re: gEDA-user: Looking for PCB fab recommendations

Ineiev <ineiev@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> BTW why unplated holes may be preferable for this case?

Sentimental reasons: I want my SDSL gadget to be just as "professional"
as all those "mainstream" existing SDSL CPE products that fill eBay.  I
have *never* seen a "real" commercial product PCB on which the holes
accommodating the plastic mounting tabs of non-Ethernet RJ connectors
were plated.  The SDSL gear is no exception: every single piece of SDSL
CPE I've ever taken apart has had a plastic RJ connector for the DSL
port (either 6-pin or 8-pin, but never the shielded type used for
Ethernet), and the holes where the plastic mounting tabs go are unplated.
Hence I want the same on my board.

Right now I'm leaning toward pcbfabexpress.com as my fab choice.  I'll
call them tomorrow to ask if they can do SnPb finish (late night here
right now).  They charge $50 extra for unplated drill and I'm OK with
that.  (That's for the whole order, not per board.)

MS