Re: gEDA-user: Looking for PCB fab recommendations

On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 3:02 AM, Michael
Sokolov<msokolov@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Peter TB Brett <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> > * SnPb finish - this one is an absolute requirement for ideological /
>> >   philosophical reasons, RoHS crap is *not* acceptable.
>>
>> In the nicest possible way, WTF?
>
> RoHS is an evil abomination that is reprehensible to the core of my
> being.  The whole underlying philosophy behind RoHS is that "bad"
> elements should be eliminated from electronic products because those
> products will ultimately be thrown out and put into landfill.  I am
> fundamentally at odds with that ideology because I don't believe that
> any computing, communication or other electronics should *ever* be
> thrown out.  The idea of buying a new computer every few years and
> tossing the old one out is fundamentally reprehensible to me.

So you still use a PDP-8 or something for all your computing tasks?
I also don't like RoHS being legally required because I feel it lets
us off the hook for doing real recycling programs. I also dislike it
because there are so many other chemicals in machines that are also
toxic and can't be removed as yet. The thing is keeping all our old
hardware for ever and never replacing/upgrading anything is
unreasonable.

> Computing machinery should be passed through generations from father to
> son to grandson.  I am using 1970s technology to compose this E-mail and
> I plan on continuing to use it well past 2038.

I have a slide rule and a uP board from the 1960's that does not mean
I have a use ether. The uP is an energy hog as all the older stuff is
relative to what we have now.

> The lead-free crap suffers from the severe problem of tin whiskers.  The

I though they added some nickle to solve this.

> f***heads behind it don't care because they expect their crap to be
> thrown into trash long before tin whiskers grow, but it is a real problem

This I totally agree on.

> for anyone who wants his electronic creations to outlast his own
> lifetime.  I want my SDSL gadget to be usable to my great-great-great-
> great-grandchildren, so they can still connect their networks at 384 kbps
> even when everyone else around them has gone to exabits per second.

I doubt there will be any ISP that supports 384 kbps service in >50 years.

http://www.coe.neu.edu/~efoss/
http://evanfoss.googlepages.com/