Re: gEDA-user: Some thoughts about PCB track attrs in your schematic [was: Re: autorouter fixes and enhancements]

Christoph Lechner wrote:

> But I believe that would be possible to realize even with the current
> versions of the tools (gschem, gnetlist, gsch2pcb, pcb).
> In gschem one would add a new component to the library with one pin that
> has to be attached to the net we want to have special properties. In the
> value attribute one would say "width=50mil".
> IMHO the best way is to add another script to the toolchain.

I'm just a gaf user, and not a very good one at that, but...  :)

Aren't track attributes just another manifestation of what is already
happening with, say, components and footprint attributes already?  By
that I mean, we're already communicating footprint attributes along with
components, so wouldn't that same mechanism allow us to convey track
width attributes along with tracks?

Granted, I doubt that PCB handles nets by creating a "track" component,
but I don't know that for sure.  But if something like that were in fact
the case, then maybe the remaining work is to just tell PCB to respond
to a "width" attribute when it finds one?

We can apply attributes to nets in gschem already, and presumably some
of those would have to be communicated to PCB to accomplish whatever
they are used for today.  So the mechanisms for communicating net
attributes must already be there.

I guess what I'm asking is, are we really talking about a component
attribute here, or a net attribute?  I was thinking it was the latter.

... or maybe I'm just under-caffeinated.  Could happen.  :)

b.g.