Re: gEDA-user: slotting and power pins

Duncan Drennan wrote:
> Currently the symbol slotting functionality struggles to handle power
> pins well  (at least that is what some brief googling showed). A
> recurring theme with regards to slotting is that power pins show up on
> all the slots, e.g. dual/quad opamp which has a single set of power
> pins for each of the opamps - if the power pins are visible and not
> embedded they show up on each slot.
>
> Some people have a problem with this from a "style" perspective

Yes.  IMHO, power pins clutter functional drawings.  I like to isolate
functional I/O from infrastructure I/O using two different symbols so
that they can be placed on different sheets.  That way, the functional
symbol is used on the functional pages and the power supply isn't
cluttering the functional drawing with extraneous confusing lines.  On a
small design, all the power supply connectivity often fits on a one or
two sheets.

So, for instance, take a 74xx00 part... I would have two symbols, the
functional symbol has two logic inputs and one logic output, and slots
very cleanly. The infrastructure symbol has two inputs, power and
ground, and doesn't need to be slotted.

I believe this style leads to the most readable schematics, and scales
up well to larger designs.

-dave