Re: gEDA-user: RFC: Footprint Builder

> I presume you have looked at the interactive footprint scripts by DJ at
>   gedasymbols.org for twopads and dils.

I know I should have looked harder for an existing script.  But I'm
hoping my program can be used to generate (or at least help generate)
some complex footprints, for example S.O. DIMM's [1] or 4 Port Modular
Jack's [2].

> > - Scriptable with XML (?) input files

> IMHO, it is pointless to write a program that is *only* gui based.

This should have read "Command line scriptable".  The code already takes
the silk offset and extra length (used for extra pad length for hand
soldering) as global parameters, but I know adding a minimum silk
option would be nice.

> I'd like to encourage you to think about a plug-in architecture.  Seems
> like a core with a viewer and common infrastructure plus the ability to
> run a plug-in per footprint type (two pad, DIL, TQFP...) would be a
> powerful combination.

I was thinking about the plug-in architecture, but I've found so far
that there are only two primitives pad and pin, and four groups of
primitives rectangle, grid, zig-zag (think D-sub), and regular polygon.
Using combinations of these it should be possible to generate the
majority of the needed footprints.

Robert

1. http://www.molex.com/pdm_docs/sd/546977000_sd.pdf
2. http://www.molex.com/pdm_docs/sd/432238028_sd.pdf