Re: gEDA-user: NE 555 and simulation issue

On Mar 2, 2010, at 11:08 AM, W.H. Kalpa Pathum wrote:
For simple circuit simulation, you can use Ktechlab (directly su -c
 'yum install -y ktechlab').
It's not very fast, not very accurate, but very graphic and simple. It
 may fits for your purpose...

wow this app suits my requirement. Thanks

Thanks for all you foryour quick and friendly responses. KTechlab was
more that enough for my requirement. It seems that the other apps
including gEDA are move advanced and need a lot of effort in learning.

We will be having a module on circuit simulation in near future. They
use Spice and I hope to use ng-spice as I'm much more interested in
FOSS.

Urr? SPICE has always been freely available. I remember downloading it
and building it on a VAX easily twenty years ago.

But they don't offer a linux version I guess.

I'm pretty sure I built it under Ultrix, which is an early BSD UNIX derivative. I know I built a FORTRAN version under VMS, but I'm pretty sure I built one on Ultrix.

SPICE 3f5 is the latest Berkeley release, and this is (if I recall correctly) the release from which ng-spice is derived. 3f5 does build under Linux, I think.

But regardless, ng-spice is pretty much "real" SPICE, so you're on the right track! Lots of companies have grabbed the free SPICE, made vendor-specific enhancements, and released it as a binary-only product (usually for one specific company's rickety, proprietary operating system) and often not for free. This doesn't mean "SPICE isn't free". ;)

           -Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Port Charlotte, FL