Re: gEDA-user: Looking for my first fab shop.

On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 13:30:14 -0500
Jim <jim@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Are there any fab shops that would be gentle with a very new, very
> inexperienced PCB designer? OH and reasonable for a prototype. Last time
> I laid up a board I used a drafting table and mylar.  I may need a bit
> of handholding as I go along.

I use Olimex for prototypes.

www.olimex.com

They're not very high tech and they take a while, but they're reasonably inexpensive and they offer decent quality boards.

41.5 Euros (about $56) gets you a double-sided 160x100mm (about 6" x 3.9") panel with whatever you can cram into it, including going over their 500-hole limit.  8 mil trace/space, 24 mil minimum drill, 5 mil minimum silk.  Soldermask on both sides, silk on top (bottom too if you want it).  Surface-mount footprints are supported as long as they otherwise fit the 8/8 rule.

They have additional board options and they offer discounts for additional panels.

They are located in Bulgaria. For me, boards take about two weeks to get to my door from the date I order them.  Note: they require a hand-written fax on the first order (security feature, no doubt).

--
"There are some things in life worth obsessing over.  Most
things aren't, and when you learn that, life improves."