Re: gEDA-user: A modest proposal regarding newlib footprints

On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 23:29:36 -0500, Dan McMahill wrote in geda.devel:

> Stuart Brorson wrote:
>
>> Since we now have a "standard" of naming footprints with a .fp suffix,
>> I wonder if now is a good time to load only files ending with .fp into
>> the footprint menu?
>>
>> If enough people like the change, I'll do it, but it might break a few
>> older designs.  Any opinions?

Why is this discussion in geda.devel, where ordinary users can't write
and hardly read?

My ordinary user opinion: I'd appreciate such a change. In fact, I find
the current list-them-all in the lib window annoying.

> Perhaps a better way is to scan the files and see if they appear to be
> footprints based on the contents.

Yes, this would be superior. I always frown on the way windows ties file
types to extensions.

> My only real concern there is how long it may take.

The file utility comes to mind.
It would be nice to let the system be globally aware what the various
geda/pcb files are, anyway.

---<(kaimartin)>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak