gEDA-user: fitting a board into a chassis

What's your opinion on this? In this application, there are connectors on the front and rear of the box. I could: 1) Make the board large enough that the connectors are in the correct positions.

or

2) Make 2 cards, one smaller that fits snuggly against the back, for example and then a 2nd small board for the front connectors. Then, cable the 2 cards together.

In (1), I am worried that the tolerances of the card and box will make fitting it difficult.

In (2), I don't like the additional board + cables.

gene