Re: gEDA-user: General Layers questions

Hello,

First of all, I want to appologice for long delay. I have been ill, than had to
do work(school actually) tip, than ill again :-(. I should be fine and responsive now.

If I stop responding feel free to ping me on/off list, I will probably
give explanation :-).

I have rewritten the wiki page about "New layers concept"
(http://geda.seul.org/wiki/geda:pcb_layers).
I have tried to reflect all the responses I got. But I am not shure that I
have managed to do it. So I have to ask you all, who are interested, to read
the page and raise concerns again. I hope I have not missed too much.

There is one big question. I can think of two concepts how to draw
elements, especialy lines.

1. Line is drawn on copper layer, it has properties like, mask and
paste. This properties are reflected on proper layers e.g. mask layer.
The problem is, on which mask layer? The one active at the time the
component was added? How to edit such properties? On copper layer line?
On mask layer?

2. Line on copper layer has no properties describing mask and paste.
It has some attached elements on other layers. When the line is created
another line is created on active mask layer. The line on mask layer can
be safely adjusted or even deleted. Problem is how to reflect, that I
have moved the copper layer line?

It is needed to decide which concept to use, I have no preferences, and
describe closely how it should behave. The problem is that working on
copper/mask/paste layers is somewhat interconnected....

One more thing. I cannot force you, but the preferred way of editing
that page is by raising questions/concerns here. This excludes
non-semantic changes. Someone with better knowleadge of English is
welcome to correct that page :-).

	Martin Kupec