Re: gEDA-user: Clearing mask to mount shields

Darrell Harmon wrote:
What is a good way to expose a ground plane for mounting a shield?
I have a board which needs to be very well shielded, and am planning
on making a machined aluminum plate with compartments for each section of the circuit. The board will screw to this instead of
standoffs. What is a good way to clear the soldermask in strips so
that the aluminum can be in contact with the copper?

PCB won't let me convert a polygon to an element. It will not allow
traces wider than 250 mils, so creating the pattern with traces is not a good option. Is there any way to use one of the spare layers
as a mask keepout layer? The only way I see right now to make it work is to create several traces side by side in the larger areas.

Can you create a footprint with some pads that are the right width/length for the shield? That way if you move the shield around on the board you'll keep all the pieces together.

Don't forget, its the largest dimension of a gap, not the area which matters the most. So if it is a 2 layer board with ground on the bottom, components on top and a can attached to the top, you'll want lots of vias around the edge where the can sits.

-Dan