gEDA-user: Installing in Debain. Nothing (at all) works

No matter how I install gEDA on Debian 4 (Etch), the only things that work are the schematic editor and a viewer for gerber files.

I have used aptitude, and the iso and still just have these tools. gEDA is a primary reason for me looking at Linux, and I was hoping to have already assesed the suite by today.

I am using the tools menu to switch applications. Is there a terminal method which can diagnose what has gone wrong?

Thanks