gEDA-user: installer question

I'm trying to install geda on a debian sarge linux system.  Previously, I've installed the Sarge debian geda package successfully and have been using gschem and pcb.  I would like to install the cd released in February but my limited linux experience is showing up quickly in the process.  I receive the following error message when running installer --log --verbose:

/usr/bin/env: bad interpreter: permission denied

My debian system does not have a /user/bin/env directory which explains why the error is generated from the first line of the installer script.  What should I do to correct the problem?

Also, I noticed on the message board that libwxgtk2.6-dev needs to be installed. The debian Sarge CD has version 2.4.  Do I need to get a later version for this new version of geda to work.

Ed