gEDA-user: Re: My current project

Thank you very much for both of your reply.

>     - Add an octet following FLAG to contain the protocol version
> number.

A good idea. I was thinking about that, but I wanted to have as less overhead
as I could.

>     - If you add a two-octet field to contain the length of the data
> field, you will likely find that it eases the design of the firmware
> that parses the packets.

The Address type 3 is for this.

>     - If you add a "sequence number" field somewhere in the header,
> it could be used to send PDUs that exceed the maximum data field size.

I was thinking about it too. Originally, I wanted something fixed packet size
(64 octet). Inspired by ATM.

>     - It might be useful to define a "broadcast" address that all
> interfaces will receive, for things like a "reset" function, etc.

I am thinking about a multicast mechanism that can assign a special address to
interface cards. The same address could be assigned to multiple cards listening
to them.

For Karl,

The CRC covers everything except the FLAG. BTW, the flag word being 0x7e
was taken from ITU-T protocols (ISDN, SS7, etc.).

The fletcher/adler algorithm seems to be a good idea.

Thank you again.

--
Levente
http://web.interware.hu/lekovacs