Re: gEDA-user: speaker source

On Mon, 2007-05-21 at 13:42 -0400, DJ Delorie wrote:
> Anyone know of a reasonable source of speakers?  I'm talking
> individual units, not wall-mount modules.  Digikey and Mouser have a
> limited selection, and Radio Shack seems to be out of the market for
> those.  ...
Bose are famous for stretching the bottom end of small enclosures...
Their 901 drivers would be _way_ overpowered (& Z ~<= 1 ohm) but a
replacement from their smaller 'powered' enclosure may be what you want.
Not sure of the model.
Rule of thumb: small drivers need *large* cone displacement to produce
significant sound pressure in the bass spectrum.  This needs a large
magnet & a spectacular spider/cone support.
My 1st test in the retail store (when one of my kids drag me in there)
is to pick a speaker up to weigh the magnet... then listen.
--
Greg