Re: gEDA-user: needing --disable-update-mime-database

On Friday 16 May 2008 12:12, Dan McMahill wrote:
> Ales Hvezda wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> >> Hi, I noticed the new geda and pcb need the configure flags:
> >> --disable-update-desktop-database --disable-update-mime-database
> >>
> >> since I do not have these binaries.
> >>
> >> For geda I have to edit the Makefile to add them which is a little odd I
> >> think .  I just thought it would be nicer if they were autodetected
> >> instead, just my suggestion.
> >
> > 	Yeah, I would like that too.  Is this sort of auto detect
> > feasible for the desktop integration, Peter?  A possible alternative
> > is to add (disable) them by default.  I seem to recall having a similar
> > conversation a while ago, but I don't remember what came of it.  Thanks,
>
> For what its worth, I very much dislike the proposed sort of autodetect
> behavior.  In the past I've seen this lead to mysterious behavior like 2
> builds configured the same having different features and a difference
> list of dependencies.
>
> I would not be opposed to having them disabled by default though.

I would strongly oppose having them disabled by default, because it means that
(a) people won't test them and (b) people will complain about missing
features that aren't.

Furthermore, not being able to run update-desktop-database and
update-mime-database isn't actually a big deal -- if you don't have those
tools, it means that they would have been noops anyway (i.e. you don't have
the freedesktop databases which they manipulate).

My suggestion would be to add an extra target for desktop integration.  Most
of the time when I'm doing a build-install-test cycle, I'm not going to touch
the desktop integration stuff anyway... and if people are upgrading, their
existing icons and links should work fine, so even any updates to the icons
which they might be missing out on are merely cosmetic.

</rambling>

Cheers,

                                Peter