Re: gEDA-user: Routing Rat lines - ?

I'm new to doing a big layout about 500 traces.  What I am trying is to
route the short traces first on the top and bottom layers.  Select a short
rat then "alt r" works quite nicely.  I often have to un-route to do the
next trace then re-do the un-routed trace.  The inner layer I am keeping for
the longer traces.  I have to keep doing a "save file" as it has bombed on
me a couple of times.  Err I was dumped onto the gnome desktop.  What is the
technique used by the experienced guys, short traces first or long traces
first?