gEDA-user: Strange behavior with input-1.sym and output-1.sym?

I am having problems with the following warnings when I do gsch2pcb on a
schematic. Below, you can see the kind of warnings I am getting on a
simple 2 component test schematic:

$ gsch2pcb -s project
Could not find refdes on component and could not find any special
attributes!
Could not find refdes on component and could not find any special
attributes!

---------------------------------
gEDA/gnetlist pcbpins Backend
This backend is EXPERIMENTAL
Use at your own risk!
---------------------------------

Could not find refdes on component and could not find any special
attributes!
Could not find refdes on component and could not find any special
attributes!
Could not find refdes on component and could not find any special
attributes!
Could not find refdes on component and could not find any special
attributes!
Skipping the m4 processor for pcb footprints
WARNING: U? has no footprint attribute so won't be in the layout.

----------------------------------
Done processing.  Work performed:
2 file elements and 0 m4 elements added to test2.pcb.
1 components had no footprint attribute and are omitted.

Next step:
1.  Run pcb on your file test2.pcb.
     You will find all your footprints in a bundle ready for you to place
     or disperse with "Select -> Disperse all elements" in PCB.

2.  From within PCB, select "File -> Load netlist file" and select
     test2.net to load the netlist.

3.  From within PCB, enter

            :ExecuteFile(test2.cmd)

     to propagate the pin names of all footprints to the layout.

I have narrowed this down to problems with the input-1.sym and
output-1.sym. If I use input-2.sym and output-2.sym, I do not get any
errors.

Any ideas on what is going on? In the mean time, I will avoid
input-1.sym and output-1.sym for making named nets.

Thanks,
Dave