gEDA-user: Signal Source Setup for Electric Guitar?

Hi,

What would be a good signal source setup for an electric guitar? I
thought I read somewhere an electric guitar could put out 1V so I used
the following:

  * Source (V2 input 0 dc 0 ac 1)
  V2 input 0 DC 0.0 SIN( 0.00 1.00 440.00 0.00 0.00 )

  [Disclaimer: This was entered using gspiceui.]

But when I run the simulation with a simple single transistor preamp
circuit [1] the base values go negative and the output is badly
distorted. I have to drop the amplitude to 400mV to get good base
voltages and I have to drop it to 20mV to get a really good output
SIN. So either I'm wrong about the output of a guitar pickup or I
screwed something up.

Can anyone give me some tips on modelling audio like this?

I'm a total newbie BTW. My degree is in Chemistry and I'm a programmer
by profession. So I'm just doing this for fun.

Mike

[1] http://www.tonepad.com/getFile.asp?id=68