Re: gEDA-user: A not too serious PCB question

Andy Fierman wrote:
> Interesting idea.
>
> Looks like it's a single (maybe double) sided through hole PCB.
> Probably only a low frequency board.
>
> I can see this may have some advantages for high current and therefore
> maybe switch mode PSU's but it may only have limited use for the
> following reasons:
>
> i) All tracks have the same gap between them. This may have adverse
> implications for crosstalk.
> ii) Track dimensions are very irregular. This makes it almost
> impossible to provide a controlled impedance. Therefore limited to
> only low frequency / slow edge applications.
>
> Could open a whole new topological discussion on auto routers though :)
>
> 2009/5/13 Stefan Salewski <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> Someone asked how one can build PCB boards like this:
>>
>> http://www.mikrocontroller.net/topic/137821#new
>>
>> (Click on the picture too enlarge)
>>
>> This layout may have advantages if PCB is made mechanical, i.e. by
>> milling machines.
>>
>> So I asked myself is current PCB can do it -- I guess not, but I may be
>> wrong.

If it supports copper pour well enough (I don't know PCB designer much
but would be surprised if such a fine program didn't) then it should be
able to do that. This is often done to reduce the amount of chemicals
needed in PCB fab. Especially in areas of the world where on-site
recycling isn't really happening yet.

With the advent of SMT power packages such as DPAK this art enjoys a bit
of a renaissance.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/