Re: gEDA-user: Parts!

DJ Delorie wrote:
> I'm gearing up to populate a bunch of powermeter boards, plus the
> sdram board, and got the biggest digikey box I've ever gotten.  This
> time, it was cost effective to by reels of two of the parts, and many
> parts were ordered at the next price-point up (10 is cheaper than 9
> sometimes - I've got a TUBE of ethernet jacks now), so I'll have
> leftovers.
>
> How do people manage their parts inventories, so they know what
> they've got?

I've tried several ways, including writing programs and perl scripts but
I find
a simple spreadsheet works for me.  I keep the basic part specs, mfg
part number,
supplier part numbers (DigiKey, Mouser mostly), last order price, qty on
hand and
location.  Location is just a storage box number.  I keep the parts in
their original
packages.  Almost all of my parts, except some connectors, are SMT.  I'm
a little
lazy about keeping qty on hand updated so I usually inventory when I
start a new
project.  I dont really worry about qty for resistors, I just by 500, 1K
or 5K qty.

I keep the pdf data sheets in a directory with a sub-directory for each
manufacturer.

--
Joe Chisolm
Computer Translations, Inc.