Re: gEDA-user: [OFF] high current amplifier

On Wednesday 20 May 2009, Steve Underwood wrote:
>Levente wrote:
>> Hi,
>>

>> I have to design an audio amplifier that can deliver 100Amps. It should
>> work around 50Hz, and the maximum output power shall be 500W. I am
>> currently reading articles about this topic, but it is very hard to find
>> things like this. If someone has some experience with, or some
>> documentation of high current amplifiers, please share it.
>
>If you search the class-D power amp modules available for the audio
>market I think you may find what you need off the shelf.
>
>Steve

Yeah, I did a quick google search, and 500 watts can be had for less than a C
note from several places.  The class D chip business has converted what was a
$3000 amp into the sub $100 category in the last couple of years.  I don't
believe it would pay one to do a design from scratch today, its already done.

Think car audio, where speaker impedance choices are 4, 2 and 1 ohm.  And they
wire everything with 4/0 cabling.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

A formal parsing algorithm should not always be used.
		-- D. Gries