Re: gEDA-user: [OFF] high current amplifier

> Not even a 40 horse compressor in a 22 ton (rated, yeah sure) Lennox
> will draw that much for that long.

Gee, you guys are making me feel bad.  Now I have to go out and
research air conditioners :-P

Anyway, I know I have a 60 amp circuit for it, and it hits 123 amps
long enough for my DVM to stabilize at 123 amps.  How long it stays
there depends on when it last ran (the first unit broke because it ran
too often, and would lock - 123 amps until it overheated and shut down
- hence the furnace controller).  When it's in a good mood the surge
lasts just under a second or so.  During hot days it could be longer
because it cycles more (minimum 30 minutes "off" time or it has a hard
time restarting).

Note that I do *not* have the "hard start" (aka "soft start") kit for
this, although I've been thinking about getting it.

The 10 kVA transformer wasn't enough for this.  At startup, the mains
voltage would brown-out to 190 vac.  They swapped it for a 25 kVA
transformer, and upped my wiring from 00 to 0000 coming in to the
house.