Re: gEDA-user: [OFF] high current amplifier

> You might as well ask why motor power is measured in horsepower -
> that's another historical unit that's cryptic and baffling to the
> uninitiated, but is perfectly good to those in the industry.

Bad example, though - motor horsepower is not a regulated measurement
like amps is, so marketing folks "fiddle" with the number.  The HP
numbers on most power tools, for example, are pure fiction.  My air
compressor, for example, says "5 HP" in big letters, but the motor
plate says it draws 15 amps - a max of 2.4 HP.  It runs on a 20 amp
120v circuit, too, which can't possibly power a 5 HP motor.

Perhaps in higher industry they specify *which* horsepower they're
referring to, to make the numbers meaningful.