Re: gEDA-user: Outsourcing PCB layout

On Thu, 21 May 2009 19:02:04 +0000, Michael Sokolov wrote:

> http://ifctfvax.Harhan.ORG/OpenSDSL/OSDCU/OSDCU-AA.bom
> http://ifctfvax.Harhan.ORG/OpenSDSL/OSDCU/shortbom.txt

Thanks.
I'd estimate, it would cost me four to five full working days to do a
complete layout.

> I have already drawn all the necessary footprints in the PCB format.  I
> have provide them either in the form of a file-per-element tarball (each
> file inside named after the refdes) or in the form of a .pcb file like
> you would get from an initial gsch2pcb run.

That is, you already did the initial gsch2pcb run?

> But again, it's only a suggestion - if a different (larger) PCB
> size would result in a significantly lower layout labor bill, go for it!

My rule of thumb for an economical size, that is still no pain to layout
is twice the combined area of all components.

> The only cost that is a factor is the layout labor cost, and I thought
> that having more layers makes the layour labor easier.

Well, four layers would be ground, supply, and two signal layers.
I'd choose the inner layers for ground and supply. Signals should go to
top and bottom, so they can be accessed during debugging. When supplies
need to cross, one of them would go to bottom layer for a short segment.

Unless there is an extreme case of interconnection, which the schematics
does not hint to, I see no reason for an additional two layers.

> Again because the project is non-commercial, mass production is not a
> consideration.

Maybe small series :-)

---<(kaimartin)>---