Re: gEDA-user: "Inherited" attributes view in gschem

On Sun, 2009-05-31 at 17:38 +0200, Stefan Salewski wrote:

> Is there a plan to modify the general concept of attribute handling?
>
> See
>
> http://archives.seul.org/geda/user/Apr-2009/msg00247.html

I am strongly in favour of pruning the list of default promoted
attributes to just '("refdes" "symversion"). We could make those
explicit rather than hard-coded.

I don't like that visible attributes are always promoted, I'd prefer to
see them treated the same as invisible ones. (At least subject to their
own setting - if people insist on retaining the option of the old
behaviour.)

The problem we face is that given no rules for what attributes will
override / mask those in the symbol, it isn't possible to hide the
attributes within the symbol based on which attached attributes are
present to override them.

The current system work(ed|s) because the tools are able to assume that
any visible attributes in the symbol have been promoted already (when
the symbol was placed), thus they can delete or hide all visible
attributes from inside the symbol as it is loaded.

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,
Engineering Department,