Re: gEDA-user: "Inherited" attributes view in gschem

Peter Clifton <pcjc2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Could you send an example as to the syntax used please?

In the MCL:

part 74LS00:
 device=74LS00
 footprint=SO14
 description=Standard logic IC, SOIC package
 manufacturer=Generic
 npins=14
 pinout=7400.pinout

U4:
 # M68K bus read and write strobes
 part=74LS00

In a schematic sheet:

Component U4pwr graph "74xx-pwr" 21900 1700 {
	DisplayAttr refdes 22800 2700 10 0 6;
	DisplayAttr device 22050 2000 10 90 0;
	PinToNet GND GND;
	SymOnPin GND "gnd-1";
};
Component U4urds graph "7400-1" 14300 4200 {
	(slot="1")
	DisplayAttr device 14600 4200 8 0 0;
	DisplayAttr refdes 14600 5100 10 0 0;
};
Component U4uwrs graph "7400-1" 14300 3000 {
	(slot="2")
	DisplayAttr device 14600 3000 8 0 0;
	DisplayAttr refdes 14600 3900 10 0 0;
};
Component U4lrds graph "7400-1" 14300 1500 {
	(slot="3")
	DisplayAttr device 14600 1500 8 0 0;
	DisplayAttr refdes 14600 2400 10 0 0;
};
Component U4lwrs graph "7400-1" 14300 300 {
	(slot="4")
	DisplayAttr device 14600 300 8 0 0;
	DisplayAttr refdes 14600 1200 10 0 0;
};

> Is it compatible with (or an extension of) the gEDA file format?

No, as you can see from the above it's a totally different file format
I've had to invent.  It's parsed like C in that there is no syntactic
difference between spaces and newlines.

I've made the decision to invent my own file format for uschem instead
of trying to kludge my way around the gschem format, and now I'm paying
for it by not having any graphical editor for my schematics, just batch
tools for making PostScript and netlist output.

I think the only way to make uEDA a complete usable system would be for
me to hire someone to take the gschem code and make a version that
operates on the uschem file format (I strongly doubt being able to do
that myself as I'm so not a GUI person), but I probably won't have the
money to do that for a long time...

I have graphical schematics for the OSDCU in the uschem format because
they were originally drawn in gschem and converted to uschem (it's a
semi-automated process with a lot of manual assistance) later when I had
lost the one machine I had with a usable gschem setup, and I can eeck by
with vi followed by uschem-print|lpr for the current "finishing touches"
editing phase, but I don't know what I'm going to do for the next project.

MS