Re: gEDA-user: spice libs ( a little puzzled)

On Wed, 28 Apr 2010 10:25:56 -0600, John Doty wrote:

> There's a special difficulty with SPICE libraries.

This is similar to hardware drivers for graphic Cards and the like.

> I cannot make my
> private SPICE library available because the license terms of many of the
> manufacturers' models contained in it forbid redistribution.

This shows, that free as in beer, but not as in freedom, is a major road
block in the long run.

> This isn't a problem that can be fixed easily.

Unfortunately, the only way to fix this in a future secure way is to
actually reinvent the Wheels in an open source way.

> I did (at Kai-Martin's request) put some simple, generic opamp models in
> my area at gedasymbols.org.

This is a great step forward to make simulation within the geda context a
viable alternative to the less stubborn. A simulation suite desperately
needs a set of generic models of standard parts. Else, potential users
will turn elsewhere before they become users.

Of course, there are more essential ingredients to actually attract a
substantial user base. Next on the list is a workflow that is at least as
smooth and reliable like gschem->pcb->gerber. And of course, a complete
set of tutorial, examples, manual and in depth documentation.

Are there plans to achieve these essentials with gnucap, or ngspice? Is
an active developer working on it? Is there a road map?

---<)kaimartin(>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak                                  tel: +49-511-762-2895
UniversitÃt Hannover, Inst. fÃr Quantenoptik      fax: +49-511-762-2211