Re: gEDA-user: Database on symbols, footprints and other (was "Re: gattrib")

On Apr 29, 2010, at 12:28 PM, Armin Faltl wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I read some of the SQL files yesterday and just started an attempt to build gparts.
> The INSTAL file list requirements for building with MySQL and PostgreSQL.
> The later are present on my machine and I'm used to that DB.
>
> Then it's stated, that PostgreSQL is not supported yet. What is missing?

The database abstraction layer module (written in C) is not implemented.

Also, this program is under development. It currently does not have the
minimum functionality to be useful.

> I have no trouble fixing the master sql-script to use the PostgreSQL
> syntax
> > \i foo.sql
> instead of MySQL's
> > source foo.sql
> More trouble seems to be the use of
> > CALL AddPart('blah', 'blie', 'blu');
> that looks like a stored procedure to me. Tbh, I never used stored procedures so far.
> Is this portable? and if not, what is the advantage to
> > INSERT INTO part (he, hi, ho) VALUES ('blah', 'blie', 'blu');
> which is portable?
>
> What has to be done, to convice the C code to use PostgreSQL instead of MySQL?
> (I know from Perl, that it is a nobrainer, to switch between PostgreSQL and Oracle
> as long as one doesn't use non-standard constructs)
>
> And what does one need to do with the autoconf/automake combo, so the compiler
> will see something like "-DUSED_DB=PostgreSQL" (didn't use that either)?

The program is currently hardcoded to dynamically load a module for MySQL
support. Eventually, the configuration file gparts-systemrc will allow the
user to dynamically load support for other databases.

> Btw., the INSTALL misses instructions on how to run these and the typical
> ./configure; make; make check; make install; thing.
> As I don't know how to create it, I can't run configure --help...

Cheers,
Ed