Re: gEDA-user: new user, new parts

>> I've been making parts for projects.  I have a handful of symbols here:
>> http://sites.google.com/site/johnbump/Home/geda/geda-parts
>> I'd be glad to put them on gedasymbols if anyone thinks they'd be useful.
>> I'll also be generating footprints for the weird ones (we design a lot of
>> parts with standardish footprints with exposed daps for thermal reasons)
>> over the next couple weeks.

>Sure.  pLease do ask for a gedasymbols account.  Then as you add more
>you do a cvs commit -m "more footprints like X.." and it's on the
>gedasymbols.org
>site.

>John

>PS   What's a dap?

It's a die-attached pad, which y'all call a ground pad under the part.  My
company makes up dumb names for all sorts of things, so I'll change my
terminology.

And, since other people are talking on the list right now about solder
being sucked down vias under the part -- yes, and it's really a pain.
When I'm hand-soldering parts on with this sort of geometry, I solder down
all the leads, then turn the board over and watch through one hole while I
dump solder down another hole until I can see it spreading across the
ground pad and coming back up the hole I'm looking into.
However, the evaluation boards we make, with 4-8 vias in the pad, we just
soldermask as usual and the solderpaste seems to work just fine for
mass-production, even with fairly large (0.3mm) vias.