Re: gEDA-user: Setup Groups in PCB for 4-layers

On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 5:43 AM, Rob Butts <r.butts2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>   I'm not clear on the groups in the PCB preferences.  If I want to auto
>   route a board in 4 layers how do I set up the groups?
>   Thanks

From PCB Preferences -> Layers -> Change group you can add or remove
layers, and change their order.
Groups are a convenience - you can use them to map multiple layers in
the PCB program to one physical copper layer.  Useful, but it's
probably easiest to ignore this feature when you're starting out.
Use PCB Preferences -> Colors -> Layer colors to give the layer colors
that suit you.  Make sure to save your colors, as they are will not be
stored in your PCB file.

To start autorouting:
* Select the Rout Style that suits you (bottom left)
Signal/Power/Fat/Skinny.   You can edit their thickness and spacing by
clicking the Route Style button.
* Hide the layers that you want the autorouter to leave untouched
(colored buttons at top left)
* Refresh ratlines (keypress o)
* Select the ratlines that you wish to route (eg Select all visible objects)
* Start the autorouter (Connects -> Auto-route selected rats)