Re: gEDA-user: Reinventing the wheel

On May 17, 2011, at 8:25 PM, Kai-Martin Knaak wrote:

> BTW, what are the show cases for geda/pcb

One of gEDA's great strengths is that it works well with other tools, so it's a great toolkit when the project isn't contained within a pure EDA environment. The trouble is that such a project is dependent on things other than gEDA, and so it can be tricky to import into an environment different than that in which it was developed.

The spaceflight hardware project at https://github.com/noqsi/SXI is an example. In the environments we use at Noqsi, a simple "make" generates all of the data products, including extensive documentation. However, incompatibilities in other LaTeX setups  cause trouble: that's why we have a private copy of tikz, and some other workarounds in the Makefiles. There may be other issues: we are only concerned with portability between Noqsi and Osaka U. environments for this particular project. So, as a demo, it's not so great, even though its organization is a tremendous timesaver for us.

But by all means, take a look at it if you want.

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx