Re: gEDA-user: Reinventing the wheel

   Is there a Python api for gEDA?
   Because that would be really nice...

   On 18 May 2011 20:56, Stefan Salewski <[1]mail@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

   On Wed, 2011-05-18 at 19:26 +0200, Kai-Martin Knaak wrote:
   > Russell Shaw wrote:
   >
   > > I think Scheme could be made much more attractive in geda if
   > > it was adequately explained in documentation or a tutorial.
   >
   > +1
   > I wouldn't mind to learn (a new language). But to learn a new
   language by
   > almost non-commented code is just too much of a barrier.
   >
   > ---<)kaimartin(>---

     The problem in not only missing documentation, but the fact that not
     all
     geda guile code is really clean and beautiful, as stated by one of
     the
     experts some time ago on this list. I don't know if that is true,
     but I
     have seen that even experts had to work hard to make small
     improvements.
     I think that learning lisp/scheme/guile is an interesting (academic)
     task. But I think that gEDA is not a really good point to start
     learning, because: 1. the C-guile interaction and 2. the risk of
     breaking something.
     And finally: It is hard to see the real benefit of mixing c and
     guile in
     geda for simple people like me. For PCB C plugins seem to work fine.
     Guile may be really fine for writing extensions/exporters, but very
     few
     people really do it. And guile itself seems to be not a masterpiece
     of
     software -- gentoo package maintainers have to struggle with version
     conflicts, guile is not used much at all (OK, gimp has guile script
     support).