Re: gEDA-user: cvs.gedasymbols.org and gschem

On Mon, 23 May 2011 17:13:01 +0200 (CEST)
karl@xxxxxxxxxxx (Karl Hammar) wrote:

> There are a lot of symbols available at cvs.gedasymbols.org.
>
> To make them all available to gschem I have added:
>
> (component-library-search
> "${HOME}/Net/cvs/cvs.gedasymbols.org/www/user")
>
> to my ~/.gEDA/gafrc, and changed component-library-search to descend
> into subdirectories (see diff).
>
> The result is as seen in attachment (dump.jpg).

Very nice!

However, for this to be usable wouldn't it be important to have a good
way to import the symbol into the project, either (1) storing the symbol
file in the same directory as the schematic, or (2) embedding the symbol
in the schematic?

(Otherwise your schematic will be broken if you copy it to another
machine, share it with others, restore it from a backup after hard
drive crash, or maybe the user on gedasymbols deletes it and it no
longer exists in your cvs checkout?  Or worse, maybe the owner of the
symbol on gedasymbols makes an incompatible modification to the symbol
and doesn't bump the symversion... you might have big problems that you
don't catch until your board is assembled...)

Regards,
Colin