Re: gEDA-user: cvs.gedasymbols.org and gschem

On May 24, 2011, at 12:29 AM, Peter Brett wrote:

> 3) I strongly recommend *not* using component-library-search because it
> gives you no control over the precedence ordering of libraries when
> searching for a symbol name match -- you're entirely at the mercy of the
> order in which the filesystem decides to give the directories to
> you. Even when that happens to be in alphabetical order, it's rarely
> what you actually want.

Actually, I've been using it for years without any trouble. It seems that it's always what I want, but I avoid name conflicts in project libraries. I don't think removing useful functionality because it could theoretically produce confusion is a good thing.

>  Having it implemented in C as a core part of
> libgeda functionality seems to me to send the incorrect message that
> using it is a good idea.

I'm all for moving everything possible out of the core. The scripter doesn't want to be blocked by unnecessary barriers.

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx