Re: gEDA-user: IPC standard SMT footprints (0603, 0402 vs. RESC0603N etc.)

On Wed, 25 May 2011 11:10:13 -0700
Colin D Bennett <colin@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, 25 May 2011 16:56:46 +0200
> Gabriel Paubert <paubert@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Indeed. I found a set of recommended footprints that distinguishes
> > resistors from capacitors:
> Have you found the Walsin-recommended footprints for SMD chip
> resistors and capacitors to be useful, and an improvement over other
> footprints such as the pcb default "0603", "RESC1608N", etc.?
>
> My fairly uniformed understanding is that the IPC standard specifies
> the one set of footprints for use both resistors and capacitors.

I just realized that pcb's default library actually has different sets
of footprints for chip capacitors and chip resistors.  For example,
these are the "imperial 0603" footprints:

Chip capacitors: CAPC1608L/N/M
Inductors (appears identical to CAPC footprint): INDC1608L/N/M
Resistor: RESC1608L/N/M

The CAPC/INDC footprints appear to have larger pads than the RESC
footprints.

Regards,
Colin